I'm loving the way everything looks against these dark walls. Similar to white in an art gallery, but more dramatic. Jazzed up our new curtains with a few supplies and a little time. Read how on the blog now. I think he's trying to tell me something... Perhaps I need to remind him where to start a sentence. Hashtag four year old problems.

Wishing and Hoping

I’ve said before that I think I have some form of seasonal depression.  I really hope I’m not the only one who gets stressed out and annoyed by the clutter winter brings.  Seriously, four people, three of which accumulate tons of winter garb (you’re not looking at one) and one small entry closet does not equal love.  To thwart winter’s takeover of our entry closet, I have concocted a plan of attack.  Notice I said plan; I haven’t even begun the process.

The plan includes a sofa table with a drawer or two, a few storage cubes and some cute hooks.  Ideally, Ben would build a modern style sofa table similar to this

I would prefer a dark wooden top and deeper drawers, but overall, I really like the style.  The drawers would be great for keys, mail, stamps and any pocket change.

Two storage cubes like these would be great below, though I would really like to have a faux leather one.  One for each of the boys.

The World Market deer head hooks would be the perfect spot for guests to hang their coats.

I plan to hang one under each picture frame behind our door, so long as the hooks are shallow enough to not bang into the door.

I love the deer hooks, but I would really love bird hooks, mounted in the same fashion with equal detail.  Something similar, but more realistic than these.  Creating functional, space-saving storage in our entry closet is key, too.

I had a chance to plan my attack when Jen from IHeart Organizing and I met up at IKEA, stay tuned for those details soon!

What is your greatest organization challenge?  Have you found any reasonably priced great solutions?  Any tips for my entry?  I’m still on the hunt for affordable storage ottomans.  What is on your organizational wish list?

1. Hey Amanda – I definitely share your “ughs” around this time of the year – post-Christmas, pre-New Years, my organizing habit kicks into high gear, and I find myself bound and determined to reorganize everything in my house! Right now, my big organizing projects are the entryway of my home (my front door opens up right into the living room, so creating any sort of an entryway is challenging, to say the least, and our basement – specifically the workbench/tool area – I’m actually off to HOme Depot today to purchase some storage solutions for small items like nuts, screws, etc – I figure one step at a time is how this project is going to be tackled!

2. Melanie

/  December 28, 2010

I loved reading this Amanda. I too am struggling with our entryway, which opens right into the middle of our open dining room and kitchen. I am so clueless and have found no good organizing solutions.

3. Wow! I thought I just went CRAZY yesterday! I woke up and went to town organizing! I organized my work-space in our garage and got to some projects that had been started but never finished. I felt the NEED to de-clutter. I am so looking forward to your next post on the entryway…we have a very small entryway space and I really need some ideas. I absolutely love the deer hooks. Can’t wait to see how wonderful it will look!!!

4. Can’t wait to see how the organizing turns out. As for the seasonal depression, I bought a light visor (bright light I think the name is). I wear it around (and look like an idiot, I’ll admit) for 30 minutes every morning, and it helps a lot. Good luck with the entryway and feeling blue. :)

5. I feel the blues too! Probably due to indulging in too many x-mas goodie :) At least you have a plan! I need more hooks, our closet space is null and we are renting so every nail I pound I foresee the spackle I will be placing :( I pray this year we will find a place to call our own!

6. Kristin (Australia)

/  December 28, 2010

Hi Amanda… I saw this mudroom makeover a while ago and thought it was genius…. not what you’re after, but maybe good for some inspiration? WIsh I had this amount of space to do this with :) http://thisinspiredhome.com/?p=247&cpage=1#comment-132

• ourhumbleabowed

/  December 29, 2010

Kristin,

I saw that and loved it too! I wish I had that kind of storage space in our entry.

Erin,

That is PERFECT!! Thanks so much for the link! I’ll check it out soon.

7. I searched a long time for square storage ottomans and finally decided to get two of these (see website link). We got one for Christmas and bought the other on Monday night with GCs. All the storage ottomans at our Target were on sale – we got it for $60 instead of $70. It is really much nicer looking in person than I thought it would be. Highly recommend! Check out some of the other fun storage ottomans at Target too (faux alligator, other colors of leather, etc).

8. I hate the clutter winter brings too. I saw an earlier post of your coat closet and it inspired me to redo ours (again). Loved the bottom shelves you have.

joeandkelsey.blogspot.com/2010/12/coat-closet-take-two.html

So far it’s working out alright for us. But all our real winter gear (snowsuits and boots) are currently still stored in the garage… there’s only so much you can do with a coat closet;). Can’t wait to see what you come up with though for your entry way. Hooks are totally the way to go so I hope they’ll work for you! My biggest piece of advice though is to thin out what you need to store. As much as I hate to scale down what I buy for my kids (talking coats and shoes and hats and etc., everything is just so cute;), I’ve learned that I’m so much happier when there isn’t so much *stuff* everywhere.

• ourhumbleabowed

/  December 30, 2010

Hi Kelsy P,

I’m glad we were able to help you a little. Hopefully we’ll give you more inspiration when we actually get the coat closet more organized. Your closet has made quite the transformation!

You’re right on the money about scaling down. Each of us has one coat in the closet, but all our shoes (that fit) are in there. Whenever the kids out grow something, it gets stored in our basement, so we still have *stuff*, but it’s not in our living spaces.

A