• Drop Cloth Curtains

• Dark Painted Bathroom

• Valentine’s Day Printables

• Painted Chevron Rug

Added a few potted plants to the porch. Hellooooo spring! Excited to add plants throughout the property. This kid and his red pants (a birthday request) brighten my days. He loves those pants so much he sneaks them out of the dirty laundry to change. Old door gets a new view. Now to figure out the trim.

Office Storage: Revealed

To continue our bookshelf week, we’ll share our office storage system and what’s inside.  Sounds like fun, no?  Well, hold on to your seats because this is a wild ride.  We’ll start with my wall o’ shelves.  Here’s an overall picture, just for reference.

First up, these IKEA storage boxes hold my assorted envelopes.

The storage boxes to the right hold overflow and odd sized envelopes, ink cartridges, and miscellaneous junk because I don’t have drawers yet.

The large boxes at the very bottom in the center hold 12 inch by 12 inch scrapbook paper.  Below those, boxes store fabric, yarn and thread.

In the far right column, I have a row of magazine files, some empty, some not.

Let’s take a look inside.

These two files have tutorial books, including a trim, origami, and Ben’s workout book.  Another has the boy’s baby books and other baby items like a baptismal candle.

A few more files hold mine and Ben’s baby books and cards from our wedding and showers.  To the far right is a spiral bound scrapbook.

That completes the wall of shelves, but what’s above my desk?  Glad you asked!

To the right, my stock of papers fill a row of magazine files.  I found three-ring binders that look similar to the magazine files at Office Depot a few years ago.  One keeps samples of my designs.  Another is empty but I like to keep it out so I have room to expand.  Helpful hint: The binders also work great to store cds and dvds.  We removed the pages from a four square dvd file and placed them in the prettier file and it’s great!

To the left of my desk I have a few more magazine files (gotta love ‘em) storing mailing labels.  Next to those are two boxes for mailing envelopes and files.

Oh, I created simple labels for everything, too.  I know, my OCD tendencies are back, but at least it’s useful!

Above that, I have a shelf that looks purely decorative.

But I’ve got a secret.  I use those pretty marble vessels to store extra paper clips, rubber bands, and pencils.

Pretty sneaky, huh?  That completes our office storage for the day.  I want to know if you have any helpful hints or surprise decorative storage in your home?

P.S.  All the magazine files and storage boxes hail from mother Sweden (aka IKEA).  The boxes are part of the Kassett series and the files are the Flyt $1.99 for 5.  Great price when you need so many and surprisingly durable!

1. Looks very organized and this is good inspiration for my office!

2. Kim Shimer

/  January 13, 2011

do the magazine files fit 12 x 12 paper? I am getting 2 different measurements when I search for them online. thanks

• ourhumbleabowed

/  January 13, 2011

Hi Kim,

Unfortunately my files don’t fit 12 by 12 paper. Though IKEA may have two sizes now. Hope it helps!

3. albita

/  January 13, 2011

Hi,
    I love this post!! I love your office! I want to build mine similarly in our basement. :)

Thank you so much for sharing!

4. Posts like these get me all giddy excited! Love it! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I love storing all sorts of mis-matched sized items in Magazine files. They are so perfect for making items that have nothing in common, so uniform!

xoxo,
    Jen

• ourhumbleabowed

/  January 13, 2011

Hi Jen,

I LOVE magazine files for storage. They hold so much and becuase they store vertically, you can get more in the same space. Glad you like it, Queen of Organizing :)

5. Angela

/  January 14, 2011

Where did you get your clock screensaver? loveit!

6. I love your sneaky organizing! I’m sure you’re enjoying it too!

Becky B.
    Organizing Made Fun

7. I love the organization! My ‘office’ looks like an office supply store threw up on it! Ha! You have inspired me to get busy with some organizing.

8. I’m jealous, that looks great!

9. Awesome job! I need to do this to my sewing room so very badly! I would love for you to link up to my Sew Crafty Saturday party & be sure to check out the two giveaways I have going on! One is an Adventure Date & the other is a $60 gift card to Cowgirl Heaven!

10. You have done an amazing job using all your space! I love how you used the decorative space to even store small things! Thanks for sharing!

11. Um, when can I schedule you to come over to my house :) It looks WONDERFUL!!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

12. Oh, I love how pretty an organized space can look! Well done!

13. That is awesome!! This makes me want an ikea even more!! :)

14. yummy white clean classic shelves…nice job condensing and yet it is so wonderfully full and arranged too.

1. Lets get FUN-ctional! | Design-Eye