I haven't decided if this ceramic lamp is awesome or awesomely ugly. 12 bucks, including an atrocious 70s shade. Cast your vote now. While walking around the neighborhood, I noticed two plants I like. But I have no clue what they are. Can you help identify either (or both) of these? Grow, my pretties. Grow!

Thanksgiving Setting

For those of us living in the U.S., Thanksgiving is only three days away.  We’re hosting friends from Minnesota and a few family members this year.  I went back and forth trying to decide what style/color/type of decor I wanted.  Last year we had a navy and gold theme, but I wanted something lighter and more rustic this time.  So, I settled on a white, copper, and gray color scheme.

In addition to our every day white plates, glasses, and silverware, I added several DIY projects and a few thrift store finds.

Dollar store cylinder vases wrapped in white tissue paper, then dipped in copper acrylic paint add ambiance.  Gold rimmed glasses, also from the dollar store can easily function as candle holders or vases.  For added texture and color, pour in a little rice, dried corn, beans, or nuts.

By far my favorite part of this table setting are the log candle holders.

Free logs are the perfect rustic touch, and simple to make.  Since cutting down the locust tree, we’ve had a pile of wood in the back yard.  I dug out three of the smallest logs and cut them to various sizes.  Some got a coat of copper paint, just to add a little more glitz.

Lined up on the table, they make a big impact.  Each place setting is simple, consisting of a plain white dinner plate topped by a gold-rimmed crackle plate (from the thrift store).  Cloth napkins I sewed from a geometric gray and cream fabric are neutral and can be used long after the holidays.

Super simple (and free!) napkin rings made from cut paper towel tubes, then painted copper.

We’re ready to go, just gotta make the food and wait for our guests.  I suppose we should wait until Thursday for the food and guests.

Speaking of food, check back tomorrow for our meal plan.  We’ve got the staples (turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole) but we’ve got a few new menu items this year.  And I’m already salivating at the thought.

So tell me, do you have a theme for Thanksgiving?  Or new items to add to your menu?

1. Glad you are back! Happy Thanksgiving!

/  November 19, 2012

Thanks, Diana! And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

2. Catie

/  November 19, 2012

Yea! You are back! And beautiful place settings!!

3. Oh I was so happy to see your email in my inbox. Welcome back, I hope that everything is ok. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Hi Alli!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

4. So glad you’re back! Love the rolled napkins and also the touch of gold banding on the glass cylinders. Looks great!

Hey Jane!

Thanks! I couldn’t believe the dollar store had those. :)

5. Lola

/  November 19, 2012

I hope you’ve learned something in your time off. Don’t bite the hand that feeds.

Hi Lola!

I have learned many things during my time off, which makes me even more appreciative of my family, house, and life.

6. So happy to see you. I totally love the idea of the napkin rings. I thought they were made of leather. So clever!!!

Hi Caity!

Ooh, leather ones would be really fun too. Lucky for me, Ben’s got a huge stash in the basement. Might have to do that. :)

7. Nicole

/  November 19, 2012

Happy you’re back! Looking forward to more posts of you being YOU! Love the little stump candle holders! And I love the idea of the TP napkin rings. So simple and cheap but they look great!

Hi Nicole,

Thanks so much! Glad you like the table setting! :)

8. cerorchid

/  November 19, 2012

Amanda, I was so happy to see this post! Welcome back. I’m in love with the dipped vases and the tree stump candle holders. Want to do both for my home. Thank you. Love, Chris

Hi Chris,

Aww, thanks! So glad you like the vases and stump candles. You could take it a step further and drill out a hole for the tea light to sit in…

9. Erica

/  November 19, 2012

Glad you are back! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hi Erica!

Thanks so much! And Happy Thanksgiving to you!

10. Yaaaay! You’re back! I was worried about u. I even emailed your blog/real life Bestie to make sure you were ok.:) Anyway, I love the log candleholders and the simplicity of your table setting. This year I will be making homemade cranberry sauce for the first time, which I’m pretty excited about. Thanks for sharing and welcome back!

Hey Shavonda!

Your comment made me smile! :) Homemade cranberry sauce? Sounds awesome! You’re far braver than I am.

11. Theresa

/  November 19, 2012

I’m glad your back. I love the logs. The table is so pretty!

12. KoCa

/  November 19, 2012

You are so tacky, in more ways than one.

Hey KoCa,

That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinion. :) Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

• Melissa

/  November 20, 2012

You are so kind. Maybe “KoCa” was trying to make a crafty/adhesive joke that didn’t translate across the internet? Regardless, your kindness and grace are beautiful. Have a wonderful holiday!!

• Why would you write that? Rude! Don’t you feel like crap after you hurt someone’s feelings so blatantly or have you no conscience? Why do you even come here? Go away.

13. I love anything gray! And the log candle holders add so much charm – yet so simple!

Hey Lizzy!

Me too, gray and anything in kelly green lately.

14. Trisha

/  November 19, 2012

So happy to see you’re posting again. Just moved into an new to us “old house” that needs lots of love and was feeling lost without my daily inspiration! I need your fun ideas in my world. I don’t come up with many on my own!

Happy to see you felt ready to put your blog back up. You were missed by many! :)

Hi Trisha!

Congrats on the new house! That’s so exciting! So glad we can help inspire you. :)

15. KoCa

/  November 19, 2012

It’s not my opinion, it is based on fact. You are tacky I your behavior and in style. That adds up to more ways than one. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

• I love these simple ideas! Hopefully you can find another blog that better conforms to your style – or maybe share some of your own constructive tips/ideas with us? I want to try out the log candle holder idea – just thinking about my Thanksgiving table setting is making me hungry!

• woogirl82

/  November 19, 2012

Again with being rude. Who are you and what makes you think its okay to treat people this way. Find something better to do with yourself.

• woogirl82,

You apparently have no idea what Amanda (and her friends and family) did, or why some people believe she owes her readers (and YHL!) a public confession and sincere apology. She didn’t take her page down due to “safety concerns”, she took it down because she was ashamed and because she got caught. Her popping back up, bright and sunny, a month later, and pretending like she isn’t a conniving, duplicitous, and egocentric B who bites the hand that feeds (fed) her, rubs just a few people the wrong way.

Hi Rogue!

I’ve apologized on Facebook and I have apologized to YHL, and that’s who this really matters to, as it directly involves them.

In fact, I did make the blog private because Ben and I had security concerns, not because I was ashamed or got caught. For the past month, I’ve worked on security related blog changes, to allow me to reopen. I’m not pretending I’m anything, everything is out there for everyone to read and make a decision. I can’t make everyone like me. If you or others don’t like me, this blog, or our ideas, then please follow other blogs that you do enjoy.

16. malibou

/  November 19, 2012

Your table looks beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Hi Malibou!

Aww, thanks! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!

17. Amanda,

SO GLAD you are back…..I am a first time commenter, but a long time reader and just had to comment!

I have missed your posts and hope you keep on posting and doing all the great things you do!

Ignore the haters, obviously they have some problems if they have to leave nasty comments on blogs. They should just stop reading if they don’t like your blog. There are many of us who do, so keep on posting!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dawn

Hi Dawn!

Thanks for your support! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

18. Kate

/  November 19, 2012

Uh . . . I think I would seriously think twice about using my napkin after noticing it led a former life as a toilet paper roll. When you use the last sheet of toilet paper on a roll, how often do you go and wash your hands and THEN change the toilet paper roll? I’m guessing few to none. Even armed with the knowledge that germs can’t live on a surface for days on end, I wouldn’t want to wipe my mouth with a napkin that has touched a toilet paper roll.

And if you’re smart enough to use paper towel rolls . . . well, sadly they look the same when cut into 1 1/2″ long strips. I hope you’ll rethink this project for your guests’ peace of mind.

• Beth

/  November 19, 2012

She said in the post that it was a paper towel roll. I don’t know of any paper towel tubes that are copper colored, so I don’t think it would be the first thing I would think of upon seeing it at a table. I think it’s quite clever, especially if you are adventurous enough to take on a new color scheme every year. Napkin rings can be expensive! Good job, Amanda. And Kate, you’re not invited to the Thanksgiving Meal I’m hosting. Hopefully, your host can satisfy your scrutinizing eye!

Hi Kate,

I understand where you’re coming from. I did use paper towel tubes because I worried about the cleanliness of using a paper towel tube. But I really like the simple look and I’ll happily tell my guests what they’re made from.

19. Amy

/  November 19, 2012

Why the name change on the blog? I thought Bowe was your last name?

Hey Amy,

Yes, but that was one of our security concerns, hence the change. :)

20. 22209

/  November 19, 2012

I have no idea what happened (I got tired and bored in a quick attempt to find out), but I’m glad you’re back too. Have a great Thanksgiving!

• kelly

/  November 20, 2012

She pretended to be a third party on forums criticising YHL and shouting out her blog.

21. Yay you’re back!!! This makes my day :)

For us Canadians, Thanksgiving has come and gone, so now Christmas is on our minds!
    But I love you log candle holders. My son an I made some last winter an was actually my first post on my blog.

Hey Esther!

That’s right, you’re already onto Christmas. Your log candle holders look great. I like that you drilled holes for the candles. :)

• Apparently my mind is on Christmas more than I thought, because I can’t even remember what I’ve posted on my own blog!
        *correction to first comment*
        It wasn’t my first post and my son did not help me make them. I got it confused with my actual first post where we made a step stool.*
        (cheeks blushing)
        here is the link to the wood candle holders that I made…

Happy Thanksgiving Amanda :)

22. Glad to see you back! :) I have missed your posts!

/  November 21, 2012

Hey Erin!

Thanks so much for welcoming me back! :)

23. Hi Amanda, So glad to see your new post, you are so inspiring and I love seeing your ideas.

/  November 21, 2012

Hi Adrienne!

Aww, thanks so much! I’m happy to be back, sharing ideas. :)

24. Are you back?! This just came to my email! So excited! I’m doing the old standby’s but making the green bean casserole from scratch and little things like that. Our guest count is rising So I’m adding extra sides like roasted vegetables. Also, in addition to the other usual suspects for dessert, I’m making the pumpkin pie cheesecake from Our Best Bites-toffee cheesecake on he bottom and pumpkin pie on top. Yum!! Happy Holidays!

/  November 21, 2012

Hey Sara!

Everything sounds awesome! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

25. Katie

/  November 19, 2012

So glad to be reading your blog again! You’ve given me some great ideas for our own table setting this weekend. Thanks! I’m so excited :)

/  November 21, 2012

Hi Katie!

I’m happy to hear you’ve gotten an idea or two for your table. :) Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

26. Lesley

/  November 20, 2012

Glad you are back! Happy Thanksgiving from the Gulf Coast!

/  November 21, 2012

Hi Lesley!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

27. Welcome back to the blogosphere!

I love your table setting! It’s super cute!

/  November 21, 2012

Hey Ashley,

Thanks so much! Happy Thanksgiving!!

28. AnneSATX

/  November 20, 2012

Amanda, I’m so happy you’re back. I’ve really missed reading your blog. And if someone doesn’t like your blog, then they just shouldn’t come here. Those of us who DO enjoy your blog won’t mind a bit… :) AnneSATX

/  November 21, 2012

Hi AnneSATX!

Thanks for your support and kind words! I’m happy to be back!

29. You’re back! WOO HOO!!!! I love that you’re back and letting all those creative juices flow again….and who wouldn’t be happy sitting down to a meal at such a great looking table? Love those awesome logs that really finish it off. Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to you, hubs, boys and family! Welcome back to blog land. mwah Hx

/  November 21, 2012

Hey Aussiebeachgirl!

Aww, you’re too sweet! Thanks for your encouragement! :)

30. Nothidingjustdontwantastalker

/  December 13, 2012

You really created fake names and accounts to trash YHL and promote your blog? Have you considered just building a fan base the old-fashioned way? You know, hard work. I’m having a hard time taking you seriously anymore because of your poor behavior. A mistake that you did over and over again. Not really a slip up, more like your true colors showing through. Security problems?? Really? Do you think your (former) readers are stupid. You’ve lost a reader.

• Hi Brandy,

Yes, I created a fake account to promote my blog and mentioned YHL in some comments. I’m not proud of what I’ve done, but I also can’t change it. I can only apologize, learn from it, and move on. We received comments (perhaps because of my actions) that concrened us and took some time to make changes, for security reasons. You don’t have to believe it, but I am sorry for what I’ve done. If you can forgive me, I’d love for you to keep reading. If not, I understand.