Everyone is quick to talk about the beauty of fall's colorful leaves. Seems to me the sunrises and sets are overlooked. Though I don't love the shorter daylight, I do enjoy the magnificent skies this time of year. Stop by the blog for a chance to win a $60 shop credit to @michaelellisstudios Lots of wonderful art options. You know what sucks more than removing wallpaper? Removing wallpaper and three layers of paint. PSA of the day: NEVER, under any circumstances, paint over wallpaper.

Surrounded

Well, it’s the last day of 2012.  I seriously can’t believe how fast this year has gone by.  We’ve got a nearly complete year and nearly complete fireplace.  Though we did deviate from our original plan.  Ben added the border trim and we decided to k.i.s.s.; keep it simple, silly.

Christmas-Fire-in-Family-Room

Down the road, if we feel the need to add more trim, we can.  I spent a few days sanding, priming, and painting the beast.

New Fireplace Surround Overall

The front, mantel, hearth, and both sides have simple 1/4 inch thick by 2 1/2 inch wide trim around the edges.

New Fireplace Surround to Hall

Once the paint cures, I can start decorating.  Eek, I’m so excited.  We’re still not sure exactly what large item we want above.  Maybe a mirror, but I’m leaning toward a long, lean art piece.

New Fireplace Surround from Side

And then I can add accessories to the mantel.  For now though, we’re just happy to have a more functional, brighter, cleaner (and easier to clean!) fireplace.  Black hole, no longer.

New Fireplace Surround Mantel Detail

Next up, sealing the slate, then grout.  And then we can cross this make over off our list.

How did 2012 treat you?  Any big life changes for you?  Moving to the mountain house was our biggest change.  And one we didn’t expect a year ago.  Heck, this time last year we were mid kitchen remodel.

Next Post

1. Julia

/  December 31, 2012

I just love this, y’all did a great job!

2. you guys work so fast like you have no children! ;) good job!

3. Karyl

/  December 31, 2012

Looks great! I like it. You’ve been holding out though…tell us about the built-in on the left too! Happy New Year!

• Hi Karyl!

Thanks! I’ll definitely spill the beans when we get it finished. It’s not a big project, so it should be soon. Actually waiting for paint to cure right now! :)

4. It looks great. Can’t wait to see what kind of piece of art you will find :)

5. I actually like those rock fireplaces, but this makeover is absolutely amazing! Do clean and bright. Great job!

6. Dawn F

/  December 31, 2012

Wow! It’s gorgeous! Great work! Please go for art ~ mirrors above fireplaces only reflect your ceiling when viewed from living room seating ~ I just don’t get the trend for mirrors above mantels! Happy New Year!

• Hi Dawn!

Thanks for your wonderful compliment! Art is the direction I want to go. More color and interest than a mirror, too. :)

7. Angel

/  December 31, 2012

2012 didn’t have too many changes but 2013 promises to be full of them. We are getting ready to move across the country to our new house in the mountains where we will all be seeing snow for the first time. I will also watch my oldest graduate high school and go off to college. Exciting!!

8. Looks great! I love the contrast between the white and the dark slate!

9. The fireplace looks great! 2012 was a big year for us. We moved from Florida to Alaska. I am crossing my fingers that 2013 allows us to build our “micro cottage”.

10. So pretty.

11. DeNise

/  December 31, 2012

I love it! I love EVERYTHING you guys do!! I always look forward to seeing what you are going to accomplish next!

12. JK

/  January 16, 2013

Thank God you didn’t do that awful grid.