• Drop Cloth Curtains

• Dark Painted Bathroom

• Valentine’s Day Printables

• Painted Chevron Rug

Five down, five to go. Taking a break because digging through rocks is a bitch. But yay for greenery!! Added a few potted plants to the porch. Hellooooo spring! Excited to add plants throughout the property. This kid and his red pants (a birthday request) brighten my days. He loves those pants so much he sneaks them out of the dirty laundry to change.

Rod, Meet My Friend, Rod

For me, January is the month to organize.  The house is a mess from the holidays and I’m ready to purge, clean, and organize as shown by yesterday’s office post.  Of course my attention span doesn’t last long, so we moved into the boys’ closet to give it some help.  Before we had two shelves at the top with one hanging rod.

Boys Closet Before Double Rod

Games, extra bedding, and other randoms fit well on the shelves, but the boys’ clothes were crammed on the rods.  Because they are growing boys, they go through clothes quickly.

Boys Closet Before Double Rod Right Side

To make sure larger clothes aren’t forgotten, never to be worn, I like to keep the next size clothes hanging, too.  So we added a second closet rod.

Boys Closet Double Rod

Now we have Ev’s clothes on the top rod, and V’s on the bottom where he can get to them to get dressed.  Which leaves the right side open for larger clothes.  That I still pull from the bin on the floor and dig out of the stair storage.  Maybe that should be the next organization area?

Boys Closet Double Rod Right Side

I’m a firm believer in double rods.  How about you?  Do you have a closet organizing trick to share?  Or an old stand by you’ve used for a while?

1. Hi Amanda! Love the addition of the second rod. It’s such a easy solution to a common storage issue.

2. Looks great. A friend just told me about Hannah Keeley. Have you heard of her before? She is a mom blogger. She is doing a 30 day purge. Each week is a new zone of the house and she does a different item or two each day. I just started yesterday. I don’t have kids yet but I do have clutter that I am ready to get rid of. You should search her blog and she is on Facebook. Since you are in the purge spirit she may be able to help you through it too. :-)

3. I love double rods! My husband and I installed them in our master closet last year and it has made a huge difference. Now you can almost find things. And we added shoe storage on the back wall since installing the double rods got rid of the shoe rack space.
    I love keeping my clothes organized by color, that way it’s super easy to find what I’m looking for.

• Hi Mary!

Love it! And shoe racks! And sorting clothes by color. Ben always thought I was crazy because I sort my clothes by length and in rainbow order. :)

4. I, too, am a firm believer in the double rod thing. We’ve only lived in our home for less than a year and my daughters closet only has one bent rod and a shelf. We’re going to paint her closet and hang up a wire shelving/rod system for better organization. Right now it drives me nuts!

• Hi Kristi!

Oh, I feel your pain. That’s exactly what our problem was in the boys’ closet. It makes life so much easier. Good luck with your closet revamp! :)

5. Girl! I hate, HATE the single rod builder standard in closets. I mean, great- I can hang up my clothes, but what about the rest of the space?! We finally have closet organizers (double rods and shelves) in every single closet of this house so that there is no wasted space. And, you can check out our most recent closet project, which makes me grin and chuckle every time I set foot inside my house: http://thediligentone.blogspot.com/2012/12/mini-mudroom-reveal.html

• Hi Emily!

Why is the single rod the standard anyway?!? Who thought that was sufficient storage? By the way, your mini mudroom looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing a link. :)

6. Yes! Doing both bedroom closets right now! We have a really wide closet in the big boys’ bedroom, so I’m actually just lowering the single rod and adding another shelf above-much better use of space for us!

7. Ade@fortheloveofpainting

/  January 23, 2013

I love double rods, however I currently have young girls that like to get into them and dress themselves by taking down all the clothes!

8. That’s what I did Monday night! I hung a second rod in my little girl’s room. I did a wooden hanging bar so I can adjust it as she gets older.