Apple crisp. Cuz if it feels like fall, it should taste like fall. @westelm currently has 20% off lighting. A few reader suggestions have me second guessing my dining light choice. Have you seen this fixture in person? If so, how would you describe the lighting? The curse of living in Montana with limited stores. It's currently 30 degrees with frost on rooftops, and a heavy blanket of fog. Feels like November. Late week forecast is back to 80's. How's your weather?

What’ll It Be? (and a Winner)

First, let’s take care of business.  The winner of the Studio Tullia and Our Humble Abode giveaway is…Kimberly R!  Congratulations!  You’ve got one pillow and two constellation cut outs waiting for you to customize.

Though the family room isn’t finished, I’m still excited to work on decorating.  This four-foot wide nook by the fireplace is kind of tough.  Right now we’ve got wood storage, an open space (that we’ll eventually fill with a tv), and a thick shelf for books and art.

Family-Room-Bookshelf-Arrangement-Books-and-White-Frame

Originally, I wanted two shelves at the top for a more built-in look, but chickened out when we built it fearing two shelves would look cramped.  To be sure, I turned to Photoshop.  Adding a second shelf and tv does fill in the space.  If we upgrade the tv in the living room, we’ll put that one in here, like this:

Family-Room-Nook-with-TV-and-Shelves

But the 42″ tv looks huge here, so maybe we’ll buy a smaller 32 inch-ish one, like this.

Family-Room-Nook-with-Small-TV-and-Shelves

Or maybe just a coat of paint is all we’ll need?

Family-Room-Nook-Photoshopped-with-Painted-Walls

One shelf might look less cluttered…

Family-Room-Bookshelf-Photoshopped-with-TV

Then again, two shelves could look like a built-in, adding height to the nook.  In the event we add a second shelf, books will primarily fill the shelves.  What do you think; one shelf or two?

1. Pesh

/  January 25, 2013

Definitely two. And keep the larger tv.

2. I like the two shelves of books and I could go either way on the size of the TV. If you get the bigger one you can see it from the kitchen right? That might be a good option.

3. Brie

/  January 25, 2013

I’m no decorator, but definitely like the look of two shelves (and the bigger TV isn’t bad either) If you do keep just the one shelf, maybe add some taller “coffee table” books to help fill in the space

BTW I love what you’ve done w/ the fireplace :)

4. Your dustpan is smiling at us. :)

5. Mel

/  January 25, 2013

Two shelves and bigger TV!

6. Karyl

/  January 25, 2013

Two shelves and large TV–in Photoshop can you change the back wall color in that nook to a charcoal colored grey, something close to the color your fireplace slate?

It would disguise the TV and allow your wood pile and light books to pop.

Will you have to worry about cable boxes/DVD player, etc?

• Hi Karyl!

I could give it a try. :) We won’t have a cable box and we’ll probably use a Play Station for DVD/streaming movies. If we use our current tv in there, it will kind of tuck behind the tv.

7. I like the two shelves, but comparing the two sizes from farther back, I like the smaller version. Big fan of white space balancing things out :)

• Hey Sarah!

I’m not sure what our tv situation will be. If we upgrade our current one and use it in the nook, it will look like the larger one. If we decide to keep it where it is, we might go with a smaller one. Not sure yet, but thanks for your opinion!

8. Karyl

/  January 25, 2013

or you could install some horizontal planking that resembles pallet wood (ie, all the boards are slightly different colors of weathered greys/browns)–lots of examples on pinterest, like this:http://www.cape27blog.com/2012/10/20-diy-pallet-wall/

• Hi again Karyl!

We actually thought the same thing! At least for the wood storage area. We decided to live with it painted white, see how beat up and ugly it gets and then do something if we really want. I love the look though!

9. Kandra

/  January 25, 2013

definitely large tv and two shelves

10. Angel

/  January 25, 2013

I like 1 shelf. I think having books that are almost touching the ceiling makes it look cramped and awkward. It seems more balanced and less top heavy with 1 shelf.

• Hi Angel!

That’s exactly the reason we stuck with one. But it’s kind of awkward to decorate a shelf with so much space above it…

11. Erin

/  January 25, 2013

I am a big book person who likes having lots of books around, so I would definitely go with 2 shelves. I think it looks more balanced that way. With one shelf, it just looks like it’s missing something.

• Hey Erin!

I’ve got tons of books to load on shelves, too! I’m leaning more toward two shelves. :) Thanks for your vote!

• I’m just catching up and I love how the fireplace turned out. I like the look of the two shelves, and actually storing books on them – like a true built-in bookshelf area. If it were my house I’d probably skip the TV entirely, but then I’m a little weird and think TVs are ugly, so we only have 1 tv, which is in our basement TV room. . . most of my friends think I’m weird about that.

• Hey Jane!

Thanks so much for your compliments! :) I’m leaning toward two shelves with mostly books, too. If we put a tv in the nook it will be a while. Like you, I don’t like the look, but it would be nice to be able to watch tv while cooking or if Ben wants to watch the weather before work. Or if I just don’t want to watch something Ben does. :)

12. jasmimi6

/  January 25, 2013

I like the two shelves with the bigger TV. It feels more balanced.

13. jasmimi6

/  January 25, 2013

I would go with two shelves and the bigger TV. It feels more balanced.

14. MEL

/  January 25, 2013

You’re going to be so far from the TV, even 42 inches will seem tiny when you actually try to watch it. Definitely go bigger, it doesn’t look bad at all!

• Hi MEL!

That’s true, because you can see the tv from the family room, breakfast nook, and kitchen. If or when we upgrade, we’ll figure it out. :)

15. Kim S.

/  January 25, 2013

I like the two shelves and the bigger tv. I also think that if you were to add sides and a top to the shelves, like you have for the wood box, it would look more finished. Just a thought.

• Hey Kim S!

I totally understand what you’re saying. We thought about continuing the sides all the way up, but then we’d have two foot deep shelves, which is too deep to be functional without wasting space at the back. :( Hopefully fresh paint will help. :)

16. Pam

/  January 25, 2013

why not put the TV on the fireplace mantel?

• Hi Pam!

Good question! The heat from the fireplace could damage the tv. And we’d have to run cables/wires over for the dvd player.

17. DeNise Tatum

/  January 25, 2013

I like two shelves and the larger tv. The smaller tv seems to get lost and something looks off with only one shelf.

18. Jackie

/  January 25, 2013

I like one shelf and the larger tv, but I’m way outvoted, ha!

19. Della

/  January 26, 2013

Two! :)

20. Abby

/  January 26, 2013

I like the two. It looks more finished. I wouldn’t say it is cramped.