My kids are either chart freaks or afraid I'll steal their candy. Happy Halloween, everyone! One Halloween costume down, one to go. Kids come up with the craziest things. Like batteries. The Frozen crew, as drawn by a four year old. Things I love.

Sandstone Cove

Do you remember my itch to paint?  I’ve finally scratched it.  Monday included priming and painting our newly installed crown.  Tuesday I edged the ceiling – Ben will roll it after we finish patching a few hairline cracks.  Yesterday I put two coats of Behr’s Sandstone Cove (color matched to Glidden) on the family room and hall walls.  Good news!  We love the color.

Painted-Family-Room

Rember the peach-y walls of yore?  Here’s a refresher.

Square-Pattern-Rug-in-Family-Room-toward-Fireplace

It changes from beige to gray depending on the lighting.  And makes the white trim stand out.  With nail holes patched, we’re assessing our art.  Ben says I hang cluttered groups and would like to see simpler, larger pieces.  I’m thinking the 2 foot by 3 foot frame could look nice hanging on this wall.  Perhaps I’ll change out the art, but the boys like to find places on the map, so it might stay for them.

Painted-Family-Room-Door

The hall gallery is gone, at least until I can figure out a way to simplify it.  For now, the Montana and Minnesota watercolors will hang just above the thermostat.

Painted-HallYesterday wasn’t all smiles at the new paint though.  After three days of painting, I had a problem and a frustration meltdown happened.  I completely blame this:

Peeled-Paint-in-Family-Room

(Yes, I realize this is a first world problem and I’m a major brat)  Unfortunately, in at least 20 spots, my Frog tape peeled off the trim paint.  Wop wop.  Worst of all, I don’t know why that happened.  The tape wasn’t stuck on forever, the paint was dry, I peeled it off when the paint was still wet at an angle.  It doesn’t make sense.  I’ll have to sand the areas, touch up the semi gloss trim paint, then the satin wall paint.  Inevitably the touch up will be obvious thanks to a sheen difference.  Unless you have suggestions.  After my meltdown, Ben cheered me up by installing our new sconces from Lamps Plus.

Painted-Family-Room-and-New-Sconces

Ahh, so pretty and simple.

New-Sconces-Hung

Love a touch of satin nickel.

New-Sconce-Detail

Even better, the low profile means fewer bumps and bruises for the adults in this house.

New-Sconce-Profile

Overall, I’m thrilled with the brighter, sleek look.  And a warm, diffused light.  I give these sconces two enthusiastic thumbs up.  Check back tomorrow for a light-ning giveaway!

P.S.  Lamps Plus kindly sent us two sconces after we featured them.  We’re psyched to Lamps Plus wanted to team up with us.

1. Jaclyn Emslie

/  February 28, 2013

We love this color. I have used it in many of our rooms and surprisingly enough, we never really get tired of it…Enjoy

2. I wish there was a before picture, Amanda. I don’t remember what the walls used to look like. Also, I think the paint problem might be Glidden. We used Glidden paint in one room, and while I like how it went on–it peeled like that too! Bummer

• Hey Julia!

I just added a before for you. :) The difference isn’t as noticeable in pictures, but in person it’s so much lighter.

You know what’s strange, we’ve used Glidden in the bathroom and didn’t have a problem. Maybe it is Glidden… Seriously, I’m stumped. :/

3. Courtney M

/  February 28, 2013

I am glad I saw this post. I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world with an aversion to Frog Tape for this reason alone. I recently had to go back and re-paint my wall & trim due to this very same thing. So odd.

• Hi Courtney!

Yes, I don’t understand it! But I’d much rather touch up paint bleeds than have this. I guess I’ll have to cut in without tape next time, which is a bummer because I’m slow. I’m sorry you have the same problem!

4. haleywynne

/  February 28, 2013

I’m glad to see the sconces installed. When you first linked them I loved the way they looked and will actually be ordering some of the bronze ones for our house soon. Do they give off a good bit of light? We currently have ‘up wall’ light sconces that we despise and Hubs’ one question was how much light do the new ones give off.

• Hi Haleywynne!

I’m 100% happy with the sconces. The exposed bulb sconces we had before were brighter, but also cast a more harsh light. These give soft, diffused light while brightening the room. Of course they’re not lights you’d use for tasks or reading, but for general room lighting, they’re great. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

5. Julia

/  February 28, 2013

I really, really, really love the color you chose for the room. It’s amazing to see the before and after. I did a board and batten in my basement (looks amazing), but choose the wrong paint color for the top part of the wall, and if I get the energy together, I think I may be choosing the same paint color you used.

6. Barbara H.

/  February 28, 2013

I was very disappointed in Frog tape when I used it inside a large closet. It peeled the paint off lickety split. Won’t be using it again. I had read wonderful things about it in blogs, which is why I tried it, but never again. It’s too disappointing and puts a crimp in one’s time line for completion.

7. I don’t think the flaking and chipped paint was really caused by your tape. It almost looks like it could have been caused by a poor drywall joint. Sometimes the compound just doesn’t stick too well to the paper seam tape, or even later on as the building settles, the corners or edge at the ceilings and walls can become a bit fragile. I know I have this problem at my place, and here, it’s definitely due to really poorly done amateur drywall jobs. I have entire spots where I could easily just tear off the entire tape seam in the corner (floor to ceiling). FUN.

• Hey JC!

Thanks for the tips! I’m not sure that’s the case here because it was the newly installed trim and caulking that it peel the paint off. But I totally understand how it can be a problem on old drywall. So sorry you have problems with your paint peeling, too. It’s such a bummer!

8. Wendy

/  February 28, 2013

We usually use blue tape, apply a light layer of clear paintable caulk, and then paint. Maybe try blasting the tape with a hairdryer to warm and loosen the sticky…but I haven’t tried that myself.

9. Love the new color. The new lights look awesome! Love how they look in your “new” room. :)

10. Sarah-Nadine

/  February 28, 2013

I love it. The color and the nice clean trim makes such a difference. Can you please take a close up picture of the window or door frame as well (I need to show my husband)

11. The transformation is amazing! (The before was also amazing) Great job lady!
    istaistaista.blogspot.com

12. Love! It! So bright and fresh…and made me want to paint my wood trim white :)

• Hi Sara!

Thanks, lady! Isn’t it so much brighter?! I know where you’re coming from regarding your wood trim. It can be very pretty, but it’s usually not my style.

13. Astounding! Keep it up. :-D