I’ve said it before, progress on the bathroom is slow. We’ve got a million and ten projects we’re working on, some more pressing than others. First removing the water heaters to make room for the geothermal. Then installing a new dishwasher. And a whole house fan to keep us cool. All necessary things that have taken focus off the bathroom. Such is life, I guess. In the video tour, you caught a glimpse of the newly installed floor tile. So here’s how we got to that point.
Before we could install the tile, we had to determine the layout. We knew we wanted a brick pattern and preferred the look of it running parallel to the door. Then, Ben measured the distance between the wall and the bath tub. Centering the middle of the first tile on this portion looked best, instead of centering the first tile over the entire room length.
More of the room is this width, not the full 8 foot span. Ben marked the center of the tile with a pencil, making it easier to line everything up. After nailing that down (figuratively, of course) Ben measured and cut the rest of his pieces.
Including this hole for the floor vent.
Sometimes tiles are finicky and break while cutting. Well, not these. Ben said these tiles are crazy strong and a dream to work with. A happy Ben means a happy tile job and very little complaining. And, this is his best toilet cut out to date.
Turns out a paint can is the perfect template. Knowing this is a small space, Ben pre-cut and fitted his tiles before mixing the mastic.
Install was crazy quick because of this. Seriously, I watched him set the first few, walked down the hall to clean up a few things, came back and saw this:
Sure it helps that the tiles are 1 foot by two feet, but it went fast.
The following morning, V helped me pull out the 1/16 inch spacers and I got to work cleaning the floor. Wetting the mastic with a rag makes clean up super simple. Then I used a utility knife to scrape the higher sections of mastic out of the grout lines.
Bring on the grout! And a toilet, please.