As I mentioned on Wednesday, the backsplash tile is installed. Just last night we finished it up with grout. But, here’s the uneven, ugly step before.
To get started setting tile, I opened and sorted the packages by color. All tiles are 4 inch by 12 inch Carrara marble from Home Depot. Indeed I am the crazy person sorting white tile by color. I’ll explain more in a minute.
Install went smoothly, but took a lot of cutting. Ben rocked it out in six hours though.
For detailed tile jobs, Ben prefers to use pre-mixed mastic to avoid making several batches.
Unfortunately, it also took forever to dry completely. Obviously that is an exaggeration, but waiting four days was a test of my patience. Pulling out the spacers took only a few minutes and then I cleaned the mastic off the surface.
Yesterday, Ben took a couple of hours to grout everything.
When sorting the tiles, I created 4 different groups. Group one was bright white with little veining, the second white with veining. The third group was pale gray, the fourth gray with heavy coloring.
With such color variation, we made a point to pull from each group to avoid blocks of similar colors.
Also, we chose to keep the trim on the windows, cutting tiles to fit around.
Same goes for the baseboard.
The only difference is for the crown, because the profile is thinner. We’ll add a thin spacer behind, then secure the crown, slightly overlapping the tile.
Weekend plans include replacing switches and outlets, building cabinet doors, painting window trim, and working on the office cabinetry. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!