Sometimes it feels like we’re treading water on big projects-you know, doing a lot of work but easily goes unnoticed. Wow, what an encouraging, uplifting way to start, huh? You know what is uplifting? Small, quick, straight forward projects to break up the longer, meatier ones we have going on. With most of the basement wrapping up, we’re getting to the fun, really obvious changes stage of the game. One of those changes was getting the Sleep Number mattress up and off the floor with a custom bed frame.
Basic dimensional lumber, stain, and poly can come together to create a sleek, modern frame. To create the base, we followed almost the exact same steps as our bed frame.
It has held up well, costs about $100 in materials, and can be assembled in less than a day. One noticeable difference is the headboard. I love the splash of green in our bedroom, but wanted something warmer to contrast against the blue-gray in the basement.
After debating a variety of wood designs, I went with the KISS method and kept it simple, stupid.
Ben used 2 by 4 boards for a completely solid design. I’m usually 100 percent opposed to the rounded edges of dimensional lumber, so we ran each board through the table saw before assembling.
With boards prepped, we cut to length, lined each up on the garage floor, and screwed boards to the back, connecting the pieces together. For a finished edge, we used more 2 by 4 material to create a frame to wrap the edges.
These boards hide the edges as well as the vertical connecting pieces, leaving a 3/4 inch reveal.
We now have a neutral base to layer anything and everything on and around.
Pinstripe sheets, small plus sign pillow cases and a kilim throw pillow add a boost of pattern and playfulness to the room.
Next step, new night stands to replace the single petite dresser that is standing in.