Our previously decrepit indoor pool house has been our single biggest, longest, and most expensive room makeover to date. Though we had demolished the raised wet bar in 2012, replaced windows and doors in 2015, we really got to work in November 2016, working from the ceiling down.
While the ceiling was a lot of work, mostly due to the awkward working space, the walls win the most tedious award.
Although I only have myself to blame for that, because I was set on a floor to ceiling board and batten wall treatment. First, hanging sheets of plywood backing, followed with hundreds of batten strips.
The single most time-consuming, finger killing part was the miles of caulking. I trudged through because I knew the result would be 100 percent worth it all. This weekend, we made it one giant leap closer to the final, completed room. Before we could get to the satisfying part, spraying primer, we had to mask off everything we didn’t want to get paint on.
Floors, ceiling, cabinets, shelves, benches, doors, and windows. Probably most fun, the two huge support beams that span the entire room.
When masking, I prefer to start with a good quality painter’s tape, closely following the edges. Then I come back with my sheet of plastic to quickly mask the remaining open areas. When in doubt, tape every single seam. It’ll prevent over spray coming through as well as the plastic flapping up from the sprayer air.
With the plastic applied, we laid drop cloths on the floor to completely cover it.
With the prep work out of the way, we cracked open the oil based primer and got to spraying. Ben started in the kitchen, working around the walnut shelves and vent hood. My heart was beating so fast, a mixture of excitement of how great it looked already and worry that I hadn’t masked well enough. I felt the same way about the ceiling beams and those turned out perfectly, so I have my fingers crossed.
This step is the single most satisfying part of a job. In a matter of seconds, the walls went from unfinished plywood to crisp white.
Ben rocked the priming, knocking out the entire room in about 2 hours. Despite being unfinished, the primer gives us an idea of the finished look and feel.
Even with the windows covered, it’s so bright and fresh (looking, because the smell was terrible).
It’s taking everything in me not to peel back the tape on the benches to see how it looks, but we still have to paint.
One minor annoyance is that the rough edges of each batten strip absorbed most of the paint.
We hoped to paint on Sunday, but instead took the day to brush each edge with a second coat of primer.
Not ideal, but necessary for the best possible paint finish. We’ll spray the walls white, Snowbound from Sherwin Williams, this weekend and that’ll be the last whole room project. After that, it’s all minor tasks to complete. We’ll install sconces, finish the kitchen cabinets, and add the pool liner. Then, it’s party time.