As with many remodels, some rooms take priority and are finished first and quickly. Others are a slow but steady progression toward an end goal. Our entry has certainly fallen into the latter category, with small changes taking place over the last four years. In such a small space, why can’t progress go quicker? First, let’s look at the space the day we got the keys.It was as dark as it looks, heavy on the wood tones, red curtains, and stained beige marble floors. The Tiffany style light was too ornate as were the corbels supporting an arch dividing the entry and living rooms. Soon after, we pulled off the curtains, tore out the arch, built a slim entry shelf, and put in a new light fixture.Oy, I don’t know if I’d say the space looked better, but it was going places. The big blank wall with a heavy knock down texture just loomed, all peach and boring. Knowing we’d need a giant piece of art to cover it, we decided to add a painted tongue and groove accent wall. Not only does it add a good kind of texture, but the simple white is a great backdrop for a pair of vintage Longhorns.Just painting over the peach walls with a warm gray made a huge difference, somewhat updating the orange oak railings. Still, the old front door and too tall window above weren’t cutting it.Then, a big game, ehhh, room changer happened when we swapped the front door. Replacing the standard door and sidelight combo with an 8 foot tall by 6 foot wide full glass door floods the entry and stairs with natural light. A shorter, transom style window above is better proportioned.More recently, while we had access to the underside of the posts from the unfinished basement, we built a sleek stair railing. Ahh, the transformation was nearly complete.Two weekends ago, while discussing what tools Ben could clean up and put away, I mentioned the entry tile could be a quick project to tackle. He said it wasn’t on his priority list and I carried on with painting the basement bathroom. That was, until I heard an awful lot of hammering and went to check it out. Turns out, Ben had started tearing out the old tile. After I finished painting, I grabbed a hammer and gleefully broke up tile with him. By carefully scraping, we were able to reuse the Hardie board and were left with this:Last Saturday, Ben laid new slate tile in a staggered brick pattern and grouted on Sunday. Baseboards are finally in and waiting caulking, filling, and painting to complete the look.
Other than painting the baseboards, I’m ready to call the entry complete.With or without the Halloween decorations. The bats have made another appearance, along with a barbed wire ‘wreath’ wrapped with twinkle lights.That concludes the entry transformation, at least I think it does. You know, until I change my mind and want to add something.
5 thoughts on “The Progression of Our Entry”
Ah! Awesome! This might be one of my favorite spaces in blog land and I absolutely love the floors! That dark grout looks so cool!
This is just right! I like the wood tones with the grey floor and white walls. Very clean and cool.
Great post. Congrats on the surprise tiling demo and completion. Great before, during and after. What a difference.
What a wonderful transformation. You all nailed it. And I’m smitten with the slate floor.