Everyone is quick to talk about the beauty of fall's colorful leaves. Seems to me the sunrises and sets are overlooked. Though I don't love the shorter daylight, I do enjoy the magnificent skies this time of year. Stop by the blog for a chance to win a $60 shop credit to @michaelellisstudios Lots of wonderful art options. You know what sucks more than removing wallpaper? Removing wallpaper and three layers of paint. PSA of the day: NEVER, under any circumstances, paint over wallpaper.

Bathroom Before and After

When we moved into this house, the master bathroom was dated with yellow tile on the floors, counters, and shower.  The brown grout always looked dirty.  And those red walls.  Oh, I couldn’t stand those red, patchy walls.

New-House-Master-Bathroom-Toilet-April-13-2012

Though the bathroom was large and filled with light from the big window.

New-House-Master-Bathroom-April-13-2012

A shower leak bumped this remodel up the priority list, and we couldn’t be happier to bid the old room adieu.  Last fall I quickly painted the walls a light green, just to cover up the red (but didn’t bother taking the light fixture down to paint behind).  So, here’s what the room looked like before demo work began:

Master Bathroom Macinack Island Green

Master Bathroom Macinack Island Green Window

Which is a stark contrast to the finished room we’re using today:

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Overall

Ben built a custom solid walnut vanity topped with a vessel sink with stainless steel countertops.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Vanity-Overall

Wood planked walls and ceiling give subtle texture and the nearly black painted upper part has a high contrast I love.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Mirror-Detail

Accessories and the long teal linen window curtains pop against the neutral walls.

Master-Bathroom-Finished-Vanity-Area

Simple DIY art, arrows, and a copper bud vase add personality and really make the room feel lived in.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Vanity-from-Door

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Toilet-and-Vanity

The new slate floor and marble shower tile feels ultra luxurious.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Shower-Overall

Our low profile curtain hanging system also helps keep the bathroom open and airy in a way even a glass wall couldn’t.  And with far less cleaning and maintenance.

Master-Bathroom-Finished-Shower

But we can’t forget the tub, because that’s a key piece in this remodel.  By shortening the vanity to a single sink, we were able to make room for the claw foot tub.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Tub-from-Door

I’d love to make a small shelf to rest on the tub, because the rattan stool is in the way of the door swing.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Tub

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Tub-and-Arrow-Detail

One last item on the bathroom to do list is replace the window and surrounding trim this spring or summer.

Finished-Master-Bathroom-Door-and-Tub

Finishing a room always feels great, but this one is especially satisfying.  So many elements we love, some we weren’t comfortable putting in a main bathroom.  Like the claw foot tub.  The boys have used it a few times already, and we’re happy not to have to worry about four sides of splashes on a daily basis.

1. Awesome transformation! I like that you tried the green but kept on going to find the perfect paint color that works for you.

2. Angel p

/  February 3, 2014

I love it!! I was not sure about the dark paint but it is wonderful. My favorite piece is that gorgeous vanity!!!!! Ben did a great job.

• Hi Angel P!

Aww, thank you! You’re not the only one who was unsure of the dark paint. But I totally agree with you on the vanity. :) That and the marble shower are my favorites.

3. Andrea

/  February 3, 2014

It really is gorgeous, and I am super into that color combo right now (white, dark grey, walnut wood tones, and gold… yum!!!) We recently remodeled our guest bathroom in these colors as well, so obviously, you know, great minds… haha. Good job!

4. Crazy gorgeous transformation!!!

5. Lovely, lovely. I’ve enjoyed watching your progress on this room :) Gives me hope for our ‘looks pretty hopeless’ master bath! Erin

6. Jaw dropping good before and after. LOVE

7. Bonita

/  February 4, 2014

Love this….you all did an amazing job!

8. I’ve been watching this transformation from the beginning and all I can say is F*** this looks good. SO GOOD. Thank you so much for inspiring my master bath color scheme!

• Ha, your comment cracks me up, LizlovesCam! Isn’t it a crazy difference?! Always happy to hear someone got inspiration from us. Feel free to share pictures with us.

9. Angela

/  February 5, 2014

Really gorgeous bathroom. The colour is perfect! I LOVE the arrows…well everything really :D

10. Amazing! I love the high contrast of the dark walls and white wood planks. Would you share where you found those gorgeous hand towels?

• Hi Sandra!

Why thank you! The towels were on clearance at Target. I couldn’t find them online, but they’re from the Threshold line, if that helps.

11. so beautiful! I still love that giant ampersand ;)

12. OH my gosh! This is seriously unbelievable. I’m so jealous of your bathroom! Amazing, amazing job. Totally magazine worthy! Good luck with CWTS! How could anyone not love this room?

13. Wowza! What a before and after! This is seriously gorgeous! And I agree ^^ totally magazine worthy.

• Thanks, Alexis! We’re so happy to have a fresh, clean bathroom and love the transformation. So glad you do, too.

14. Stunning! :-)

~Sarah

15. Wow! This is gorgeous! I’m dying over that wood vanity.

16. Lulu

/  May 18, 2014

Love the dark paint! What is the color?

17. Lulu

/  May 18, 2014

Sorry- just found the answer.

18. scopium

/  May 18, 2014

Wow looks amazing. Got some inspiration for our guest bathroom. Very nautical and rustic. I can feel the Breez

19. Renata

/  May 18, 2014

lovely! can I ask where you got the round mirror fromt?

20. erikaearle

/  May 18, 2014

Beautiful! Where did you buy the walnut for the vanity?

• Hi Erikaearle,

We got it at our local lumber supply. Most real lumber yards have a good selection or they can order it in for you. This is American Walnut and was so nice to work with and has a lot of character.

21. megan peri

/  September 19, 2014

Can you share the color of grey that you used? The company and color name? We are finishing up a kitchen remodel and want dark grey and you chose an amazing color. Your entire home was so incredibly well thought out – I love every detail. Inspiring.

• Hello Megan Peri!

The dark dray is Wrought Iron by Benjamin Moore in their flat finish. It’s a great color, I hope it works in your space. :)

Thanks!!

22. otto

/  September 20, 2014

Where did you get that beautiful mirror from? I simply adore that.

23. Chef Jill

/  October 7, 2014

I love this so much! My husband and I have been looking for some bathroom inspiration to tie together our disparate vision for our (much smaller) bathroom. Quick question- now that you’ve been living with this for a little while, are you finding the horizontal tongue & groove is tricky to clean or requires more frequent cleaning than your tiled surfaces? Thanks so much, and beautiful, beautiful job!!

• Hello Chef Jill!

Thank you so, so much for your kind words! Actually, the tongue and groove hasn’t been a pain to keep clean. The grooves are fine, it’s just the top that I have to wipe down occasionally. I hope that answers your question, but if you have more, I’m always here to chat. :)